Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Gratitude Journal Overfloweth

The presents are wrapped and under the tree. A handful for Samuel and a handful for Thomas, plus one for Ina. A gift bag with a few smaller wrapped presents sits by the door for our visit to my sister's house: a small gift for each niece and nephew and a homemade token of love for my sister.

don-E and I have agreed not to exchange gifts this year with each other. I generally have what I want and he is concerned that the spending be on the boys and not on ourselves. Money is tight. That's a recurring sentiment in many homes this year. For some, it was reality before the Great Recession hit. For others, it is a new reality to deal with. I refuse to carry a balance on a credit card just so we can have more presents under the tree.

This Christmas week has turned out to be wonderful so far. I haven't been stressed out trying to navigate my way through the mall or worrying about how I can afford one more gift for someone. I've concentrated on more important things. And not by my design. It's just worked out that way and I've embraced it.

This week I've worked out 3 times at the gym, walked around Reid Park with Kim, Sara, and Addi, had breakfast with Sara and Addi, saw the Wildcats win an overtime buzzer beater, saw 2 totally different movies (Brothers and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), had dinner with the Elliotts, stayed up past my bedtime to hear Leila Lopez (and Christabelle) perform at a club on 4th Avenue, and even took a nap.

And, it's not over yet. don-E has the next 11 days off of work (paid!) and we have few commitments. Today we'll visit my sister and her clan on our way to the Ronald McDonald House for a Christmas Eve service. Then we'll attend the service at Rincon Congregational before we tuck ourselves in for the night. We have a going away party to attend and another concert for don-E this weekend.

Next week we'll get the oil changed in the vehicles and help Sam with his science fair project and hang out and enjoy each other. But this week, I'm enjoying my PRESENCE with my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment